11/17/2012

Lausanne One World Run 2012

I can't deny I was a bit disappointed this morning when a third of the people who had assured me they were coming to our 5K (to benefit Project AIDS Orphan) didn't show up. We knew one couple was on their way, so we waited a few minutes to give them time to arrive. But everyone was getting cold, so I finally sent the 15 runners and 4 walkers on their way. I knew at least one runner would be back in under 20 minutes, so I quickly got a few things taken care of before going back to the finish line. Sure enough, Bob was right on schedule! Others started trickling in and told me they had seen some of the "no shows" on the out-and-back course along the lake. Because of different mishaps, a total of 10 runners joined the race in progress. Most race directors will tell you to expect a certain percentage of runners to drop out. I doubt many have ever seen their field increase be 50% at the finish line! We ended up having about the same number of participants as in 2010 and 2011, so along with my wonderful helpers we had a nice little group for the awards ceremony, then pumpkin soup by the fire.

Gotta run...




No comments: