11/04/2009

The taper

Last weekend’s long run was “only” 24K, and next weekend’s will be a mere 19K. This part of my marathon training I like. In the seven days before the big day, I’m only supposed to log in 14K! I read that, “For some people, the idea of backing off on their training just before the big race seems counterintuitive.” Well, not to me! The article explains that “muscle damage that occurs during sustained training is also repaired during a taper. And if that isn't enough, immune function and muscle strength improve, as well, which reduces the odds you'll catch a cold or get injured just before the race. (...) In other words, it's time to chill. So don't blow it after all those weeks of training.” Don’t you love it when you get advice you actually want to follow?

Gotta run…

No comments: