9/27/2012

Course Pédestre de Renens 2012

Last Saturday I rode my bike over to Renens in the morning to pick up my bib and to sign up M. J. for the 10K since she couldn't get there early enough to register. The second trip was for the race itself. I searched and searched for M. J., but in vain. I lined up with 300 other runners and we took off on the first of four 2.5K laps. I started off at presumptuous pace and was able to stay with the same group of runners for the first three laps. Then on the last lap I started fading. With one kilometer to go, a woman in my age group passed me, but I didn't have the energy to hang on. She beat me by 11 seconds. Last year I beat her by 10 seconds! I wonder if she's improved of if I'm declining... I looked for M. J. until I started getting cold (the weather conditions were perfect for running, but not for standing around in sweaty clothes), then I rode home. Daughter told me M. J. had called to say she got lost and the race had already started when she finally arrived. Fortunately, she was allowed to join the 5K walk instead. So I showered and got back on my bike to head down to Renens for the third time. I finally hooked up with M. J. and we hung around for the awards ceremony because there were some very nice raffle prizes, and because she had placed second in the 5K walk! I hadn't planned on this Trophée Lausannois event taking up my whole Saturday, but all in all it was good day.

Gotta run...

No comments: