3/16/2009

Firsts

Last Saturday’s “Cross des Amis de la Nature” (literal translation: “Friends of Nature Cross-country Run;” actual meaning: “Hills I can walk up faster than I can run up”) was my first race of the season. It was also my first time to enter a race shorter than 5K. I felt like I was sprinting the whole 4K, and for the first time in years another runner voiced concern about my labored breathing (I usually only get sideways glances, but I know what they are thinking, “is she going to keel over and die right here in front of me?”). I did make it to the finish lines; just seconds after said concerned runner, by the way. Our prize was an umbrella, that’s a first for me. I’m now prepared for those April showers. A t-shirt would have come in handy too though, since it was the first warm weekend of the year.

Gotta run…

2 comments:

Brady said...

Wish you'd caught her at the finish line!

Thurman8er said...

People worry about my labored breathing after I climb a flight of stairs. That's probably not a good thing, right?