3/30/2009

No-show

I’m never fully committed to a race until I’ve paid my entry fee. I can’t remember skipping a single race for which I had preregistered. There are plenty I had meant sign up for the day of, but didn’t. As last Saturday’s 7.5K approached, and the weather forecast got worse, I knew it wasn’t going to happen. It was just as well since Saturday was a very busy day, even though it would have been a fun race. It’s the only race I know of where the oldest runners start first. Participants 80 and older have a full 13-minute head start on those 30 and under; the 75-79 age-group has an 11-minute handicap; etc. At 51, I would have only had a 2-minute lead on the whippersnappers. The first person to cross the finish line is the overall winner. It’s often a young person, but not always.

Gotta run…

1 comment:

Brady said...

I'm glad you hung around the house.